5 Facts about Holiday Lighting That’ll Keep You Up at Night
In November and December, thousands of people are treated in hospitals across the country every year with decoration-related injuries. Not only that, thousands of dollars are wasted on energy-inefficient lighting.
1. Accidents while putting up and taking down decorations are the top cause of holiday-related injuries
Between 2011 and 2015, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission found there to be more than 1,700 Christmas-related injuries at a sample of 100 hospitals across the U.S. More than 70 percent of those injuries were related to decorations
2. In 2015, there was an estimated 14,000 injuries that required a hospital visit because of holiday decorations in the month of December alone
With a wide variety of ways to show off your holiday spirit, there is an equal number of opportunities to cause harm to yourself or others while decorating.
3. The primary way people injure themselves is by falling
Not surprisingly, falls are the culprit in the majority of holiday-related injuries, and it’s easy to imagine why. Particularly with outdoor holiday lights, there are a variety of ways people can cause themselves bodily harm. Slipping on icy pathways or unstable ladders can wreak havoc on your weekend plans to bring holiday cheer to your home.
4. Top injuries sustained during the holidays were lacerations, strains or sprains and contusions
Even during the most routine decoration and lighting installations, there are numerous ways homeowners can hurt themselves, particularly with old or damaged lighting sets.
5. A string of 25 incandescent C9 bulbs can increase your electricity bill by more than $15 during the holiday season
By the time Black Friday rolls around, neighborhoods across America start glowing with holiday cheer, and that can have a detrimental impact on your pocketbook if you choose the wrong lighting.
Although these are some unnerving holiday lighting statistics, you don’t need to become just another data point in the story of decoration-related injuries. In fact, they can be avoided altogether with a professional provider like Christmas Decor.